Jupiter and Mars in same fov

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

michael feist

Jupiter and Mars in same fov

Post by michael feist »

16/5/22: To the Park this morning 0405-0410BST to see Jupiter and Mars just with the fov of the 7x50 Greenkat (extra wide angle) binocular. Regards mike f.
michael feist

Re: Jupiter and Mars in same fov

Post by michael feist »

21/5/22: Sky mostly cloudy/murky. Gibbous Moon "fuzzed-up". At 0400BST went to the Park and for a short while, till 0415BST, Jupiter and Mars seen in the Greenkat, about ⅔ fov apart. Then clouded out. Regards mike f.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

22/5/22: 0346-0355 BST: To the Park. Sky mostly cloudy with Moon immersed there-in. However Jupiter and Mars were in a clear gap, just above the rooftops across the Park and separated from each other by perhaps just slightly more than ½ fov of Greenkat. At the end, that rather spooky call from the fox was again heard and watched it sit, look at me, scratch and then pass on its way across the Park. Regards mike f
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

The Fox is a dog and dogs bay at the Moon. If you take some dog food to the park Mike, Vulpecula might be eating from your hand. :D
brian
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Vulpecula seems to have already fed on Anser, the Goose, so is unlikely to be hungry! Regards mike f.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

:lol:
brian
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

28/5/22: Awoke at 0355 BST to find the sky mostly cloudy but quickly went to the Park for a short view of JUPITER and MARS in a cloud gap, 0405-0410 BST. Using the 60mm spotter (2nd mod. with eyepiece from damaged binocular ; rather than the 25mm eyepiece the fitting of which was a bit of a lash-up and insecure!). Planets separated by about ⅓ fov (although have yet to ascertain the exact fov or magnification with this ex-binocular eyepiece. Regards mike f.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

29/5/22: 0315-0330 BST. Intermittent cloud. To the Park with handheld 7½ x 42 binocular. JUPITER +MARS close together, about ⅛ fov of binocular = perhaps < 1° (?). A lovely sight about the rooftops! Regards mike f.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

30/5/22: Up before 0300BST to find much broken cloud but set off to the Park with 7½x42 binocular in hand. At 0305 BST SATURN was observed and that Fox again passed by, its call sending chills up my spine. At 0315 BST, JUPITER appeared and the MARS above the rooftops, separated by about ⅐ fov or about 1°, with MARS now to left, at the 7 o'clock position. Viewed for ten minutes and then returning home by 0330 BST...and back to bed! Regards mike f.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Tremendous dedication, Mike. I haven't done a 3:00am walk since Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3?) in 2020.

Best wishes, Jeff.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

I really prefer dawn rather than evening observing. I came across the following letter that I wrote to 'Astronomy Now' in June 1993, in 'Hints & Tips' page, which summarises my thoughts.

Up before dawn.
"......There is much less light pollution as the house lights are not on and the sky transparency seems very much better before dawn than after dusk....I also find that my vision is better in the morning and, so long as one gets dressed in the dark, ones dark adaption is good from the start. It id also much more peaceful as few people are about and an observing session has a natural point of termination as the Sun colours the sky and the dawn chorus begins......"

In fact, of course, people seem to be naturally either Larks or Owls. I guess I am a Lark by nature!
Regards mike f.