Lunar Occultation - 14 May 2022 at 22h31m BST

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

jeff.stevens

Lunar Occultation - 14 May 2022 at 22h31m BST

Post by jeff.stevens »

There is an opportunity to observe the disappearance of the magnitude +4.53 star λ (lambda) Virginis at 22h31m BST on Saturday 14th May. It's a tricky one, given the near full bright disk of the Moon (98%) and the relatively slender dark limb in comparison.

Screenshot courtesy of Stellarium Web.

Best wishes, Jeff,
Attachments
20220514-21h31mUT-lambda-virginis.jpg
20220514-21h31mUT-lambda-virginis.jpg (79.7 KiB) Viewed 55 times
jeff.stevens

Re: Lunar Occultation - 14 May 2022 at 22h31m BST

Post by jeff.stevens »

How lovely, the sky clears for a lunar occultation. It was touch and go, and despite bands of cirrus cloud passing close by the Moon, along with atrocious seeing, I did manage to witness the disappearance.

My oh my, what a slender dark limb. It was a really tricky observation, for me. Lambda Virginis wobbled and faded at times, but I had a relatively stable view at the point of disappearance. I think, given my 66mm aperture and the bright lunar disk (even with most of it out of the field of view), this was about at the limits of my eyes and equipment. Fascinating to see though.

Best wishes, Jeff.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Clouds here in the evening of 14th and even by morning of the 15th clouds covered the sky. And for the Lunar eclipse on the 16th seems to suggest thunderstorms for Sussex. We shall just have to wait and see if I will have to add this eclipse to my Observed Lunar Eclipse or Lost to Cloud Lunar Eclipse List!
I remember, way back as a lad, attempting to view a Lunar Eclipse using the Brass & Leather Naval Telescope from the window of my parents bedroom...the Moon remained hidden behind cloud throughout.
Regards mike f.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

The forecast doesn't look good here, either, Mike. It looks like this will be another one added to the diary as a missed one for me too. However, I do like to retain that glimmer of hope - stranger things have happened.

Best wishes, Jeff.