Why BIG moon rockets?

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Why BIG moon rockets?

Post by brian livesey »

The Saturn rockets, as we know, were enormous, but, do moon rockets still need to be big?The ISS ( International Space Station ) was assembled in Earth-orbit from modules. Why not do the same for moon rockets?
Instead of launching enormous one-off, fuel-greedy, rockets,
the modular parts for moon taxis could be put into earth-orbit near to the ISS, by unmanned space shuttles and assembled by crews housed in an expanded ISS or alternative space station. The upper stage of a large rocket could be converted into a space station, in the same way that a Saturn rocket stage was used for Skylab. Having said this, I've no particular interest in manned space flight at this point in time.
brian
Kay Burton

Re: Why BIG moon rockets?

Post by Kay Burton »

This is indeed a very reasonable idea, because a conventional launch pad is not capable of raising such a colossus as a ship capable of transporting a crew and the required supply of resources (fuel, equipment, food for the crew). After all, this is not only a shell. Equipment that can withstand the conditions of outer space is quite heavy. And it is unlikely to overcome gravity at one time with such fullness. After all, even launching an ordinary satellite requires enormous power and a large amount of fuel. Not to mention the risks. Imagine how upset it would be if the carrier with the spacecraft crashed shortly after launch, without ever going into orbit? When I read about new developments and ideas here, I think about the most rational way to implement development in parts.