Ashford - Kent

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

jeff.stevens

Ashford - Kent

Post by jeff.stevens »

It’s incredibly depressing to read of situations like this occurring.

I guess it has been put together in a rush, out of necessity, but it might be hoped that carrying out a lighting assessment would have been done prior to developing, rather than retrospectively when the damage has been done.

I suspect this may be the case with future large projects, such as the high speed rail link as it scars it’s way through the UK; some of it temporary light pollution, and some of it, in the case of large rail side maintenance sites, more permanent.

I notice a similar thing occurred, in a town close to me, where a Jaguar Land Rover storage plant was created, which has completely ruined not only the skyline but also significantly added to the light pollution.

Best wishes, Jeff.
Brian

Re: Ashford - Kent

Post by Brian »

Satellite swarms rather pale into insignificance for those living close when so-called "educated" people produce a monster like that :evil:
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
jeff.stevens

Re: Ashford - Kent

Post by jeff.stevens »

I thought things were moving in the right direction, but it seems not. Aside from the light pollution, it must be a staggering waste of energy.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head though; it takes a lot of education to get through to people, and it’s just not happening quickly enough.

Best wishes, Jeff.