turning off streetlighting

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

michael feist

turning off streetlighting

Post by michael feist »

I was interested to discover that parts of West Sussex, ie Lancing and Worthing DO switch off streetlighting late in the evening - in all but main roads. Having visited one of my sons who lives there, I mentioned that fortunately there was one or two streetlights visible from his front yard. He then pointed out that even these are switched-off late at night, and darkness descends. So it can be done! regards mike [the watcher].
RMSteele

Re: turning off streetlighting

Post by RMSteele »

There is a similar scheme here for residential areas, for example the street lights go off between midnight and 5am on back roads. It makes a little, but very little difference overall. As you mention it doesn’t apply to main roads. A token gesture really. Regards, Bob
Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton »

Turning off the lights on the streets is a small bonus of living in a small town. Our lights are turned off on all streets except the central one. So, in clear weather, you can look at the starry sky without much difficulty.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Welcome to the forum Kay. How lucky you are to have a reasonably dark site. I live in the suburbs, which we might think would be darker than down in the town. Alas, at night it's ablaze with security lights here.
brian
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Once upon a time [sounds like a fairy story!] where I lived and observed as a lad, 1960s, Upper Portslade was almost rural, and all the streetlights went out at midnight. Security lighting did nor exist. The last bus left Brighton for Portslade at about 11pm and if you missed it a long walk home was on the cards - however by midnight there was hardly any traffic and one could walk in the main road most of the way. Most people were abed by the time the lights went out and darkness descended. I now still live in Portslade which is now almost suburbia as housebuilding has worked its way up the valley and streetlights are on throughout the evening night, and until after Dawn. However by choosing and using the best the spot from which to observe, the Milky Way still glows but faintly, high in the Summer Sky. However, as I tend mostly to concentrate of crepuscular and daytime observing, and bright objects during the darkness of night, all is not lost. One has to work with what was has. Where-ever you live, there is always something to see in the sky. regards mike [the watcher]
Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton »

brian livesey wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:20 am Welcome to the forum Kay. How lucky you are to have a reasonably dark site. I live in the suburbs, which we might think would be darker than down in the town. Alas, at night it's ablaze with security lights here.
Hey. Thank. Glad I found this forum. And at the expense of the light in my city - yes, great luck. I don’t need to go out of town. Almost from home I can look at the starry sky. When I get tired or if the day was hard, it turns out to go to bed earlier and convince the time of my hobby. It is very relaxing, I noticed that I became less nervous. The stars don't make you nervous.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

How true Kay. The stars have a calming effect, as does the Moon, especially when it hangs over the horizon. The eternal serenity of the night sky might soon be a thing of the past, as the likes of Elon Musk & Co want to line their pockets further by turning the sky into a satellite freeway.
Astrophysicists are expressing concern about satellite swarms getting in the way of their research observations. :roll:
brian
Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton »

I am very glad I found this forum. My friends don't really understand what it is in the starry sky. They say "well, heaven - so what?" And it fascinates me. I especially love the full moon. Even just looking out the window at the full moon creates a sense of mystery. Probably because of the soft light, which leaves a pleasant twilight. I don’t know if many people do this, but the moonlight in the window does not interfere with sleep at all.