Mars ‘copter technical hitch

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Mars ‘copter technical hitch

Post by brian livesey »

NASA has announced that its Ingenuity helicopter has had its first attempted flight into Mars’s rarified atmosphere delayed until at least tomorrow, due to a technical problem. The problem was discovered when the ‘copter was having its rotators tested.
If successful, Ingenuity will be the first machine to fly on Mars. The flier has a camera onboard to pan the landscape in what will be a short-lived flight.
brian
brian livesey

Re: Mars ‘copter technical hitch

Post by brian livesey »

The first successful test flight, lasting under a minute, was performed with the ‘copter at 8:30am our time. More flights are to follow when the data from the first flight has been analysed.
The flight established that lift is possible for a drone in Mars’s rarified atmosphere with the ‘copter’s rotors operating at very high revs to achieve lift.
brian
Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton »

It turns out that much is possible with advances in technology. I am very pleased with the news about the work of the rover. I already really want to know the data from the study of rock samples taken on Mars.
Cooper458

Post by Cooper458 »

Yesterday, 25 April, Ingenuity had a third flight, and it was soo successful that it managed to set a record. Ingenuity flew more than 50 meters and rise to a height of 5 meters. I expect the 4th flight in the next few days. How do you think the results will be?