The Apollo project: what was it worth?

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

The Apollo project: what was it worth?

Post by brian livesey »

This is a controversial point even today. The ubiquitous Brian Cox described Apollo as "The greatest achievement in human history", while others have said that the project was way down on the list of social priorities and scientific achievements. Consider, for example, the discovery and manufacturing of pennicillin, and the millions of lives saved.
First and foremost, Apollo was primarily political in a Cold War tug-of-war for economic and cultural dominance; science was an add-on.
There's no denying that Apollo was a huge, lowest tender :shock: , engineering challenge - costing three lives - , but did it yield for space science the wealth of scientific data that the Hubble Space Telescope and other instrumentation, ground-based and in space, has done?
Some might regard Apollo as belonging in the category of the gung-ho, high octane, culture propagated by the likes of Jeremy Clarkeson.
Whatever our point of view on Apollo, we can rest assured that there are going to be more boots on the Moon in the near future, and for a variety of reasons: scientific, economic and military, but not necessarily in that order.
Last edited by brian livesey on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
Charlotte Bridge

Re: The Apollo project: what was it worth?

Post by Charlotte Bridge »

I guess there will always be controversies and discussions around this program. And I don't think that we will find out the truth one day. But here is some facts about what this mission concerned. The NASA program was named by engineer Abe Silverstein. He chose the Greek god "light, music and sun", thinking of the name of the spaceship as a name for his own child. He later said that he chose the name while sitting at home and thinking about the god Apollo, who flies to the sun in his chariot. The program has provided jobs for 400 thousand people. In 1964 - 1966. NASA spent up to 4% of US GDP on funding, as much as in the early years of the Apollo launch, NASA never spent. In the space agency itself, 34 thousand people worked for this program, about 375 thousand more contractors were involved in the program outside the NASA state. When Buzz Aldrin followed the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, it was important not to slam the door behind him. Because the lunar module had no handle on the outside.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Charlotte Bridge wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:37 am Because the lunar module had no handle on the outside.
Well, I honestly did not know that :shock:

regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Charlotte Bridge

Post by Charlotte Bridge »

[/quote]

regards,
[/quote]

Yes, I didn't know that either :shock: JUst after I saw this thread I decided to check my knowledge about this mission and I found a lot of interesting feature I hadn't even heard before :) It is great that nowadays we have access to so many resources. And I can imagine how thrilling it was to follow news about Apollo in 1969 :shock:
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Brian wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 pm
Charlotte Bridge wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:37 am Because the lunar module had no handle on the outside.

regards,
I'm not sure that's true. See, for example -

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Aldrin-cl ... to-trouble

Read the third post by Jeffrey Phillips.
Lariliss

Post by Lariliss »

For all the facts and controversies, there is an important thing to keep in mind, from my point of view.
Taking into account economical, political and technological state.
The aim, the effort, persistence, belief and courage and legacy are making the mission makes it fascinating, admirable.

First steps are the hardest ones. At that time space exploration was in a 'try and error' way. From today, flights look common, and this is also legacy of all knowledge gained.

Many people would say that the most incredible invention is soap, and will be also right.
Number, Letter, Note: Know, Think, Dream.