Mike Collins RIP

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Mike Collins RIP

Post by brian livesey »

The passing of former Apollo astronaut, Mike Collins, on Tuesday would have rung a bell of nostalgia for some people, when, in 1969, millions huddled round their black and white tellies to watch fuzzy pictures of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin descending the ladder on the Eagle lunar-lander. Mike Collins, of course, occupied the lunar orbiter.
Many regarded the event as a triumph of human technology, while others saw the Apollo programme as a political extravaganza and a huge waste of money needed for more urgent purposes.
Whichever camp of opinion we belong to, the Moon since Apollo has become an apparently prime target for a number of reasons: scientifically, economically and militarily. It looks like trips to the Moon are going to be a regular occurrence in the future
brian
SkyBrowser

Re: Mike Collins RIP

Post by SkyBrowser »

brian livesey wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:50 pm It looks like trips to the Moon are going to be a regular occurrence in the future
When I was a boy, the comics I read confidently predicted that I'd be bouncing around on the surface of Mars with a goldfish bowl on my head by the year 2000 :)
brian livesey

Re: Mike Collins RIP

Post by brian livesey »

What did the goldfish wear? Don’t tell me - a spacesuit. :wink:
brian