The Far Side of the Moon

Hubble, probes to the planets etc

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Cliff

The Far Side of the Moon

Post by Cliff »

The Andromeda Galaxy M31 Motorway maybe about Sixty Eight Thousand Billion miles long. However, when I was a youngster & "discovered" M31, I thought it was only 30,000,000,000,000,
Only recently I've dreamed about getting an electric car. But nightmares revealed driving to M31 would need 228 million charging points on route. A hybrid car might need less charging points but several million petrol filling stations too. Furthermore our government may introduce a mileage driving tax , although perhaps not applicable to journeys made outside the UK ?
Ironically since M31's estimated distance doubled sometime around World War 2, it's been decided M31 is getting closer to Earth & eventually we could collide. Even if Earth survived an M31 crash our current happy relationship with our Sun might end.
So forget M31, I might just try my luck digging for gold on the far side of the Moon.
Best of luck from Cliff
PS - even diving to the far side of the Moon might need quite a few electric charging points.
brian livesey

Re: The Far Side of the Moon

Post by brian livesey »

Many of the general public probably don't realise just how far away some of the planets of our solar system are. If, for example, we could drive to Jupiter at a steady speed of 60 mph, it would take 800 years to arrive there. As a lifelong cyclist, it would take me quite a bit longer, I'd have a beard trailing a few miles long behind me.
The planetary probe close-up images of the planets, reinforces the idea in the public's mind that they are not all that far away.
brian
Cliff

Re: The Far Side of the Moon

Post by Cliff »

Thanks Brian.
I personally think most space journeys would be tremendously boring.
Best of luck from Cliff