Earth's altered atmosphere

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Earth's altered atmosphere

Post by brian livesey »

We are familiar with the theory of the early Earth colliding with a large body, from which the resulting debris from both objects coelesced to create the Moon.
Now there's a new hypothesis/theory claiming that the collision resulted in a 60 per cent reduction in Earth's atmosphere. Did Earth's atmosphere eventually return to its previous density? This isn't stated in a short press report.
brian
Cliff

Re: Earth's altered atmosphere

Post by Cliff »

Brian
I suppose I'm just too ancient & old fashioned, but I think human kind may be getting out of its depth with ideas & some astronomers may be no better.
Yesterday BBC TV News interviewed a chap who makes (& himself flies) one man flying jet packs - he was advocating using them for mountain rescue purposes & showed an impressive film of how it could be used. Today the chap appeared on a chat programme intent on demonstrating the jet pack in the flesh in person - unfortunately he could not get the jet engines working.
Best of luck from Cliff
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

The problem with those noisy gadgets Cliff, is that there's usually a consumer fun version soon afterwards ( as with big drones and flying cars ), to shatter the peace and quiet.
brian
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

The loss of a sizeable part of Earth's atmosphere in its collision with Theia was deduced by research at Durham University on the effects of large body collisions. The team ran 300 computer simulations to arrive at the amount of atmospheric loss.
brian