Not another pair of binoculars!

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Not another pair of binoculars!

Post by brian livesey »

Oscar Wilde said that he could resist anything except temptation, and so could I until I recently saw a pristine 12X50 binocular for sale for just £12 on a market stall.
This is a glass that's been treated with loving care. It could have been made yesterday, along with its flawless black leatherette case.
Despite its "as new" condition, the binocular was probably manufactured in the 1970s. There's no brand name on the glass, only a serial number. On the small cap on the front of the centre bar there's the ubiquitous "Japan", and below this are the two tiny letters "KY" ( short for Kyoto? ).
Why did I want this binocular when I already have a dozen from that era? Well, for one thing, it's the only 12X50 pair now in the collection. Best of all, it's the only glass that's completely free of fungus. Most of the others show traces of the scourge, but not excessively so.
Now I'll try it out on the binocular mirror-mount, when darkness falls :D .
brian
David Frydman

Re: Not another pair of binoculars!

Post by David Frydman »

Hi Brian,
There are sometimes details visible inside the front of the barrels.

Usually, there is something on a backplate, although these could have been changed.

KY may be the makers initials.

Blue coated only on outside surfaces?

Regards,
David
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Yes David, the coatings are once-over-lightly. KY= Ken Yates. :wink:
brian
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

My wife often says something similar...i.e. "you don't need another telescope!".
When I retired about 10 years ago, the list of monoculars, binoculars and small telescopes that I had bought new or secondhand, or been given, or traded in for something new, passed on to friends, donated to charity shops or for use at the Foredown Tower, or disassembled or thrown away as rubbish, stood at something like a hundred. Currently it stands over 200. I actually keep an ongoing list. (I will check the actual figures when I get home.)
So is my house full of instruments? No. My current list of instruments is 2 spotting scopes (a 65mm Acuter and a 60mm Nikon), one monocular (8x42) and one binocular (and that binocular is in the drawer for general household use!).
People sometimes ask which is the best instrument to buy for astronomy...Why ask me, I am still trying to find out! regards maf
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

In the fleeting cloud gaps yesterday evening, I was able to try out the glass on Casseopiea. The definition is good for most of the aperture, so I have a bargain binocular.
brian