Astronomy and Art

This is the place to discuss all things related to Vicky Duncalf’s Pop Astro Live shows, which are streamed via Facebook and YouTube.

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

RMSteele

Astronomy and Art

Post by RMSteele »

I noticed a bit of a thread of science and art warping through Thursday the 22nd's interesting show. The mention of the commemorative quilt that is illustrated in this issue of Popular Astronomy reminded me of the time I was transported to an Australian quilting exhibition by my wife and my sister-in-law a couple of years ago. I could have been down the pub having a lunch and a couple of pints, but instead I was transported emotionally to see the vibrant artistry in the quilts on display from all over the southern hemisphere and the far east. I was particularly struck by a quilted evening scene by a Japanese artist that depicted a magnified crescent Moon hanging low over rectilinear city tower blocks. Not only was it an evocative and well composed scene, but also it was accurate: the orientation of the Moon in relation to the horizon was natural and the fall-off of light towards the sensibly elliptical form of the lunar terminator was there as well. Nice show Vicky, thanks. Kind Thoughts, Bob