Book publishers cease publication

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Guy Fennimore, Brian

JohnM

Book publishers cease publication

Post by JohnM »

In case people have not held the US publishers Willman-Bell have ceased publishing so their range of books aimed at amateur astronomers will no longer be available. If you want a copy of any of them look for the last stocks in distributors or be prepared to search the second hand book shops.

The AIP4Win software appears to be still available and is now freeware though the book / manual that goes with it is no longer available from the publisher.

I have also read that Cambridge University Press have ceased publication of books on Amateur Astronomy due to low demand - I am not clear if this is only new books or ones already published. A few still seem to be available on their website.

See https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/s ... astronomy/ the vast majority (135) are shown as not available.

Both seem to be due to low demand for these books as people rely on the internet for information.

John Murrell
Data Miner & Amateur Astronomer
brian livesey

Re: Book publishers cease publication

Post by brian livesey »

There's too much dependancy on digital storage of data these days. There needs to be balanced amounts of different media presentation.
Last edited by brian livesey on Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
Brian

Post by Brian »

Agreed! Come the next Carrington-scale event (and come it will) the Maesters will need to stock their new libraries :)
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Brian, I’d never heard of the Carrington Event before, or the near miss in 2012. I’m quite scared now, and may have to go hide under the blankets for a while. Interesting stuff.

Best wishes, Jeff.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Jeff,

There is a government publication called The Cabinet Office Risk Register see https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ister-2020 that lists the events the government considers a risk to the UK and the expected frequency & impact. You should be able to find it in an internet search. Space Weather is one of the many risks considered. One 'mitigation' put in place as a result of this is that the Meteorological Office in Exeter now have a 'Space Weather' desk that tries to predict when another Carrington Scale event will hit the Earth.

IN the event of a large event being detected they warn various people including the national grid. Last time I heard it was not clear if the national grid had the authority to switch off the UK electricity supply or they had to get permission from 'Government'. In which case there may not be time to act.

The theory is that it is better to lose power for a 'short' period rather than risk the grid transformers being destroyed as they will take several years to replace.

There was also a significant solar event in 1989 that caused power cuts in North America though relatively little damage. Post event analysis showed that the UK national grid had significant Earth Currents running through it so came close to being damaged. The other thing the National Grid has done is to add Earth Current Monitors / Trips so excess Earth electric currents will trip the transformers before they are damaged. It is difficult to explain how the AC national grid is impacted without drawing a diagram.
Last edited by JohnM on Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Thanks John. Very interesting. I guess it shows, especially in light of the last year, that despite our rapid technological advances humanity is still incredibly fragile and vulnerable.

Best wishes, Jeff.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Well, sadly, there'll be a lot of ash wood for making fires ...
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

A great deal of modern housing doesn't have the fireplace, so there would be nowhere to have a fire indoors. Another example of over-dependancy on a single source. In this instance, electricity.
brian
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Brian,

The water & Gas supplies all depend on electricity - I am not sure how many of them have backup supplies ? My local water works nearly ceased to operate during the floods a couple of years ago as the main electricity intake was flooded. The water level also can close to flooding the filter beds when they would have had to turn the supply off due to contamination. Who though of building a water works in a dry valley next to Bourne Road ? For those who do not know a bourne is a river that only exists when there are high water levels in the chalk aquifer.