We are not alone ...

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Guy Fennimore, Brian

brian livesey

We are not alone ...

Post by brian livesey »

Well, that's what Professor Conselice of the University of Nothingham and his research team say."There should be a few dozen active civilisations in our galaxy under the assumption that it takes billions of years for intelligent life to form on other planets, as on Earth," said the professor.
The team assumed that a planet needs an environment abundant in elements such as carbon nitrogen and oxygen like the Earth for intelligent life to evolve. They used this assumption to approximate how many suitable planets there are in the galaxy and came up with the figure of 36 with civilisations technically capable of transmitting signals into space.
A problem with this is that the average distance of the galactic civilisations is 17,000 light years, making communication with them technically very difficult because of the limitations of our present technology.
The team made allowance for the possibility of us being the only civilisation in the galaxy if the survival of extraterrestrial civilisations is shorter than ours. Of course, there could still be intelligent beings out there who are at a lower stage of development as, say, hunter-gatherers.
Last edited by brian livesey on Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
stella

Re: We are not alone ...

Post by stella »

"The average distance of the galactic civilisations is 17,000 light years".

Now, that's what I call Social Distancing".
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

:lol:
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Brian
Stella made an interesting point.
Even if the average distance of galactic civilisations is 17,000 light years, there might be some galactic civilisations much closer together.
Just imagine if Mars very soon gets over-populated (like Earth is already!).
The Big Bang might just be like a damp squib in comparison to what the future holds.
Best of luck from Cliff
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Word meanings can change over time. Civilisation used to mean "town-dwelling" ( civil society )' but now it seems to mean any number of things, such has having impeccable manners and being intelligent, etc. Galactic civilisations are also referred to as synonymously meaning intelligent life.
Life doesn't have to be town dwelling to be intelligent. There could quite a number of exoplanets in the galaxy's goldilock's zone were intelligent beings are living in say the equivalent of igloos and tepees. Here on Earth, Eskimos and Native Americans ( misnamed "Indians" ) are just as intelligent as town dwellers.
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Brian (L)
Firstly I am an English townie (I do enjoy the countryside - particularly visiting the Pennine Moors, but I like to get in bed in my home town fortunately quite close to the Pennines).
I declare myself an Earth population fanatic (but even more concerned about the the UK) - for our off-springs future more than my own.
I gather UK only produces about 50% of our own food needs. England in particular is overpopulated. If we get the odd million or so of supressed Hong Kong citizens coming to live here that's an additional problem - assuming their overlords will let them travel ?
However, not to worry too much; half a dozen Martian super-bombs would probably wipe the UK out irrespective of how many people might be living here.
Oh! I think I agree with you about Eskimos & American Indians. I even occasionally wonder how (Red) Indians got that designation ?
Best of luck from Cliff
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

We seem to have shot off on a tangent here Cliff. l'm not an overpopulationist,I've seen the data. One thing we can be certain about is that we are unlikely to see evidence of extraterrestrial life in our lifetime, unless, of course, they visit us. Better put the kettle on just in case. :wink:
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Brian (L)
I apologise if I have inadvertently caused offence.
However as far as I'm concerned personally concerned, extra-terrestrial civilisations are a total irrelevance. Although if anybody discovers extra terrestrial life in the near future I'll have to eat my words. But I think the chances of anyone actually finding ETs are pretty slim. Although I accept if even the simplest of life forms are discovered elsewhere (even just anywhere else in the Solar System - that's possibly a reasonable indication real ET civilisations do exist.
As I said, I personally am an overpopulation fanatic. As far as I'm concerned about overpopulation of the world is a big factor causing a variety of problems (*eg climate change), but even more particularly in the UK - especially England, one of the big problems we have. To say that is not astronomy of course really, but I think for example, overpopulation is a factor causing light pollution. So if I were starting doing star gazing, over-population might be of more concern than any ETs.
Of course there is always a possibility that some sort of disaster might wipe out so many people, that our reduced population might be quite acceptable. So I wont mention over-population again.
Best wishes & good luck from Cliff
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

What offence Cliff? When I pointed out to the neighbours that their security light was causing a problem for other locals, they simply switched it off. There were no demographic considerations involved.
Even small communities can and do blight their environment with intrusive lighting. At least, extraterrestrials will find it easier to discover a planet that's lit up like a Christmas tree.
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Brian
I'm pleased you sorted out your local security light problem satisfactorily.
In my case I now feel weirdly fortunate that having really given up night sky stargazing a few years back, I no longer need to bother about light pollution.
Best wishes from Cliff
Eva Braun

Post by Eva Braun »

I surely believe that in our huge universe there are other civilizations (thinking that we are alone in the universe is as stupid as to believe that the Earth is located on a turtle), but why did everyone decide that for the existence of other civilizations, the same conditions as for our being are necessary? All planets are different as well as the conditions for living on them and I think that their residents easily adapt to life there as we do on our planet.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Ditto.
brian
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Yes Cliff, I must agree that personally, extra-terrestrial life / civilisations, are a total irrelevance. As one gets older many things that once one worried about fade into unimportance. I remember once reading about some 'philosopher' trying to calculate how many angels could stand on a pinhead. Nuts! Most lifeforms on Earth just get on with their lives. regards mike
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

I don't "worry", as you put it Mike, about whether or not there's ET life out there. It's the intrigue of it that some of us find fascinating.
brian
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Hello Brian ,and all; I guess I feel so overwhelmed by the bombardment of facts, fictions, and all that in-between stuff, and all the vast changes in everyday life, all the crazy, noisy, daftness on the media with adverts screaming from all quarters. Added to all this, is the shortness of a human's life. When I was a child, a week 'was for ever'; I understood nothing. As a young adult, I thought I more or less knew what was what, a year was 'almost for every'; Now as I look back on the last three-quarters of a century, I feel that I hardly understand anything , as weeks and months slip by like quicksilver. I can only cope with watching and naming, and simply enjoying the sky and the natural world that I can actual see around me. regards mike