Space Junk Is Our New Tragedy of the Commons

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Brian

Space Junk Is Our New Tragedy of the Commons

Post by Brian »

"Unless countries overcome their differences and regulate the use of satellites, we’re all headed for trouble."

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... he-commons
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Cliff

Re: Space Junk Is Our New Tragedy of the Commons

Post by Cliff »

Brian
I totally agree.
But personally I think the biggest problem in the World generally & England in particular, is just greedy human over-population.
Everyone just avoids the issue because no one has a clue what to do about it. And some countries may even have quite low populations and very little money. It is undoubtedly a very tricky issue & arguably the elderly & me in particular, should shut up about the matter.
The Chinese seem to justify their current excessive polluting on the grounds that they have only caused a serious pollution a few years whilst places like the USA have been polluting the world Earth for a few centuries, so China seems happy to just catch them up.
Best of luck from Cliff - we all need it
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Apparently, over 60% of satellites are “commercial”, so we can reckon that a proportion of them are for trivial purposes such as the gambling industry.
Now, it’s being said that there are so many rocket launches that they contribute significantly to global warming.
brian
Charlotte Bridge

Post by Charlotte Bridge »

I know about one young company who cares not only about space exploration but also about environment on Earth and reducing amount of space junk. Skyrora is U.K. space tech startup and it is currently the only private company capable of launching rockets from U.K. soil. What’s more interesting is that the vehicle can refire its engine several times in orbit and conduct multiple missions in a single trip. This makes it a “Space Tug” able to perform a number of maneuvers in space, including the extraction of space junk or maintenance if satellites are already in orbit. The Space Tug is powered by a 3D-printed 3.5kN engine and the first stage of is launch is fuelled using an eco-friendly fuel (Ecosene) made in part from waste plastics.
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Charlotte, it’s good to hear of positive developments. Kind thoughts, Bob