Elsa-d litter picking satellite to launch

A place to post details relating to artificial satellite observations

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Brian

Elsa-d litter picking satellite to launch

Post by Brian »

From today's Mirror:

Little bigger than a domestic fridge, Elsa-d will attempt to snatch a satellite at 17000 mph. This is a test run for a system which may help to tackle the some 8000 tons of debris orbiting Earth, posing threats to working satellites and the ISS. From mission control near Didcot the team will work in shifts as the 400lb craft will release a 37lb satellite and then attempt to catch it using some complex manoeuvres .

Blastoff is on Saturday from Baikanur. The exercise may take up to 8 months to complete after which the Elsa-d duo will go for burn-up.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/astroscal ... atellites/
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Eva Braun

Re: Elsa-d litter picking satellite to launch

Post by Eva Braun »

The company also plans to offer its space debris removal services to satellite operators.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

A major problem with space junk is the sheer rate it’s being produced at. It would require swarms of “janitor satellites” to keep up with it. This is akin to mopping up the water from an overflowing bath instead of turning off the tap.
Last edited by brian livesey on Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
Lariliss

Post by Lariliss »

I would also add the burning in the atmosphere contaminating issue.
The first janitors to be launched - is a good news.
But without collaboration and concept further development, there might be new issue on-top.
Number, Letter, Note: Know, Think, Dream.
mikemarotta

Post by mikemarotta »

When you consider the cost to launch anything, to say nothing of the cost to produce that thing, space junk must be highly valuable. If I lived in orbit with my family, I would have Junior and Sissie out there in shifts earning their keep by bringing the valuables home. Processed metals and composites are rare enough, but the electronics can be salvaged or repurposed, even if only used for surfacing.
Michael E. Marotta
Explore Scientific 102 mm Refractor
National Geographic 70 mm Refractor
Ploessl oculars 40mm to 6mm 2X Barlow
mike49mercury@gmail.com