A satellite "orbit tax" proposed by scientist

A place to post details relating to artificial satellite observations

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

A satellite "orbit tax" proposed by scientist

Post by brian livesey »

There are up to 20,000 aging satellites and associated debris in low Earth orbit that poses a risk to essential communications satellites. Scientists are calling for the imposition of orbital fees of up to $235,000 per satellite emplacement in orbit.
The charge on satellite operators, such as Elon Musk, would, it's reckoned, pay for collisions and factor in the cost of collisions to other users says Matthew Burgess, economist and assistant professor in Environmental Studies and affiliated member of Economics at the University of Colorado Boulder. He said: "Space is a common resource, but companies aren't accounting for the cost their satellites impose on other operators ... We need a policy that lets satellite operators directly factor in the costs their launches impose on others."
Some of us would regard space as being much more than a "common resource" This is economists' talk and only helps to reinforce the Wild West mentality of Elon Musk,etc.
brian

Brian

Re: A satellite "orbit tax" proposed by scientist

Post by Brian »

I'm waiting for some pigs to come flying past ...... :lol:
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

brian livesey

Re: A satellite "orbit tax" proposed by scientist

Post by brian livesey »

You noticed it Stella! Well it did buy two mugs of coffee for the Webb team. They were allowed three sips each. :wink: I'm using an iPad for the first time and making a few errors in the process. As I'm sure you know, the figure is $8.8 billion.
brian