Inspiration

Don't be shy! If you're just starting out, here's the place to ask that first question

Moderators: joe, Guy Fennimore, Brian

brian livesey

Inspiration

Post by brian livesey »

Can anyone recall having inspired anyone to take up astronomy as an hobby? I can, two friends from almost sixty years ago. Firstly, there was Colin. He had completed an engineering apprentice, when I told him of the enjoyment I was having with a crude homemade three-and-a-half inch refractor. I say “crude” because the objective wasn’t even a doublet, it was war surplus and looked like a big spectacle lens, with a focal length of 47 inches. Nevertheless, combined with a big brass gunsight eyepiece, it gave inspiring views of the moon for first-timers. The magnification was about X50, so chromatism wasn’t very evident.
It wasn’t long before Colin had made his own neat 4-inch reflector at the local engineering works where he was employed, although the bought out mirrors were poor in quality compared to today’s. When he departed this life two years ago, he left his wife with three quality telescopes in the house.
Then there was Michael. He was an art student and, like Colin, was suitably impressed with views of our satellite through my crude refractor. Michael immediately set about making his own 8-inch Newtonian in a tubular frame with bought out optics. The mirror was green plate glass, not your fancy Pyrex, and needed considerable cool down time. Together, with a copy of “ Norton’s”, we saw fabulous new things in the night sky. So inspired was Michael by what we discovered that he set about making his own 15-inch Newtonian. It was never quite completed, as he emigrated to Canada... .
I was inspired to stargazing by a little astronomy book in the school library, enchantingly titled “The Star-Spangled Sky”, authored by a vicar. This was soon followed by the much-awaited purchase of Patrick Moore’s “Guides” trio.
Last edited by brian livesey on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian
Brian

Re: Inspiration

Post by Brian »

I don't think I ever inspired anyone into astronomy but my adult daughter has long maintained a passing interest in the night sky. I myself was certainly inspired in my early teens (13-14y? about 1963) by another lad I knew at school. He was a member of the JAS himself and lent me a few of his copies of Hermes. I was hooked as they say and within a few months bought a pair of opera glasses (3x30) and started to learn the night sky. At the age of 16 I had saved enough saturday-job money to buy a simple 4-inch newtonian reflector kit and the rest is history :D

regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

A friend over in Pendle Valley invites junior school teachers to bring their classes to his garden observatory, housing a 15” Newtonian. One little pupil was so inspired that he grew up to become an astrophysicist. :D
My second telescope was a homemade 6-inch reflector ( optics bought out ), on a plywood fork mounting. My girlfriend was so inspired by the beauty of the open star cluster, M35, in Gemini, that she married me.
brian
Brian

Post by Brian »

brian livesey wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:36 pm . My girlfriend was so inspired by the beauty of the open star cluster, M35, in Gemini, that she married me.
Have to say my wife married me in spite of my interest in astronomy :lol:
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
SunsetTwilight

Post by SunsetTwilight »

I've not got anyone into astronomy 😔 a lot of people like what I do but it's not for them 🥺
They see the photos I post but that's it.
Maybe one day I will.

The only person really was my dad who sadly passed in 2014.
He took the photo of comet Hale bopp and got me into it himself, but until I got a telescope he then got really into with me.
I remember one morning can still vision it, it was around 4am and I saw Saturn. Dad couldn't sleep much with arthritis, so I got him outside looking at Saturn. Will never forget that moment. Was the first planet I saw too.