The SUN - 20th October

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Cliff

The SUN - 20th October

Post by Cliff »

Recently the weather hasn't been very friendly - Sun observing wise.
But a forecast for 20th Oct seemed a bit better, though possibly iffy in the afternoon. Early on it rained but late morning I organised my Sun tackle (88mm refractor, 60mm Hydrogen Alpha SolarMax, tripod with Pan & tilt head, video camera & photo tripod & Laptop) just inside our opened South facing Kitchen door. Then I had a frustrating hour or so getting only one decent 20second video clip of the Sun's Hydrogen Alpha disc. I eventually moved upstairs to my favourite West facing back bed room window, where a decent spell allowed me to complete my wanted quota of Ha & W.L. Sun observations & videos.
Surprise! surprise! there was a quite decent though only modest Sunspot complete with Penumbra & a fairly faint but biggish ornate Prominence (best I've seen for a long time).
A few Images now attached -
Best wishes from Cliff
Attachments
zybSun20201020_1320UTmereCROPred_45R.jpg
zybSun20201020_1320UTmereCROPred_45R.jpg (25.38 KiB) Viewed 28 times
zybSun20201020_1327UTmereCROPred_09R.jpg
zybSun20201020_1327UTmereCROPred_09R.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 28 times
zybSun20201020_1327UTmeredith09R.jpg
zybSun20201020_1327UTmeredith09R.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 28 times
brian livesey

Re: The SUN - 20th October

Post by brian livesey »

Dammit Cliff, I missed today's prom. I was tempted to look through the PST this afternoon, but at the last minute decided not to. It was one of those days where the Sun popped in and out of passing cloud. I almost always find on days like today that by the time I get to the eyepiece, the Sun disappears behind cloud! :(
I've seen very few proms for some time now. They look more interesting in the 70mm stage one PST mod.
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

BrainL
I was rather lucky - although I did make a fairly big effort including moving tackle around the house. It was quite a long time since I'd observed mid-day from our south back door & my choice to do so yesterday was only because a local weather forecast had seemed to suggest my usual afternoon bedroom westerly view was likely to be clouded out. In the event I did get one back door image. I nearly didn't bother doing the afternoon session but conditions improved & the bedroom was a more comfortable place to be.
Best of luck from Cliff
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Hi Cliff, I've been adding info to my drawings, so to be fair I'm leapfrogging all the other recent posts back in front of mine, nice image btw. Bob :)