Star Clouds in Sagittarius

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

RMSteele

Star Clouds in Sagittarius

Post by RMSteele »

I don’t know quite how this will come out on our forum page. It’s an image taken on a hand held Iphone II by David Clark, location Dino Hill, Winton, Queensland, Australia on 2021 September 08. It shows the large and small (M24) Sagittarius star clouds, together with the Lagoon and Trifid nebulas, above centre and above right of centre. Below centre is the whole of Scorpius, and above the large star cloud is the teapot of Sagittarius, handle uppermost, pouring tea all over the scorpion’s sting and the bright stars of Lupus below. To the left of the teapot is Corona Australis. If I am not kidding myself, I think I can make out dark nebulas blotting the space to the right of the large star cloud. I think the orange colour at the lower edge is the glow of David's camp fire! Bob
starclouds.JPEG
starclouds.JPEG (77.15 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Last edited by RMSteele on Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Re: Star Clouds in Sagittarius

Post by Brian »

If you stand back and view the image from two or three feet away the effect is rather good :)

regards,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Brian, as you amusingly imply, image processing is manifestly not a part of my skill set. I don't know how to resize jpeg images, hence things come out either as a cutesy miniature or as a huge chiaroscuro canvas that would literally stagger Rembrandt if he had to carry it!
Bob :roll:

David's original image as sent to me actually gives a rather good impression of the southern Milky Way under an outback sky.
mikemarotta

Post by mikemarotta »

RMSteele wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:01 pm I don’t know quite how this will come out on our forum page. It’s an image taken on a hand held Iphone II by David Clark, location Dino Hill, Winton, Queensland, Australia on 2021 September 08.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
Michael E. Marotta
Explore Scientific 102 mm Refractor
National Geographic 70 mm Refractor
Ploessl oculars 40mm to 6mm 2X Barlow
mike49mercury@gmail.com