Doggy Astronomy !

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Cliff

Doggy Astronomy !

Post by Cliff »

Strictly speaking, I think "rainbows" may not really be astronomical, but some astronomers , including me, like a variety of sky phenomena eg noctilucent cloud. 7:15am this morning I awoke it seeming very bright even with closed curtains (especially considering recent weather conditions). So I quickly looked out of our west facing back bedroom window. to see a fabulous rainbow'. Possibly the 2nd best I've ever seen. I shouted my wife who saw it from the kitchen. Unfortunately the call of nature very soon dragged me away. Then after hand washing, I grabbed my camera, but when I got back to the window, the rainbow had disappeared. The rainbow returned briefly several times mocking me but I did get some photos.
Canon 550D-SLR in automatic mode, 18mm focal length lens - a little brightness & contrast stretch, lowest part of pic cropped off.
Best wishes from Cliff
Attachments
IMG_6188bbZ.jpg
IMG_6188bbZ.jpg (31.73 KiB) Viewed 81 times

jeff.stevens

Re: Doggy Astronomy !

Post by jeff.stevens »

Hi Cliff, at its peak this rainbow must have been stunning then, as it looks very prominent and picturesque in your later photograph.

I love sky watching in general, and I love seeing pictures and observations of various atmospheric optical effects on here. Thanks for taking the time to post it. It has brightened my day.

Best wishes, Jeff.

RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Doggy astronomy or dodgy astronomy, I'm a fan of anything that lifts our noses up off the floor Cliff. Have you see the Sun by the way? There's a small, new spot near the the limb that is followed by a crazy long path of faculae. Best wishes, Bob

stella

Post by stella »

Since this is about rainbows and dogs, it is appropriate to relate the following observation.

About 6 months ago, on an unsettled winter's day, the Sun was shining brightly in the south, but
was surrounded by extensive cirrus cloud. To the left of the Sun was an intense sundog, probably
the brightest I have every seen.
Overhead and to the north the rain was torrential, but was producing a brilliant double rainbow,
However, to the left of the main bow, It was possible to detect are faint but perceptible fainter
colourless bow. I presumed that it was caused by light from the sundog, rather than the Sun itself.
It was displaced from the main bow by around 22° which would correlate with the Sun-sundog separation
on the other side of the sky. A search on the internet did not reveal any similar sightings elsewhere
in the world. I therefore have given the name "Dogbow" to this phenomenon.

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Jeff
Thanks !
I guess I've seen quite a few rainbows over the years , sometimes just taking them for granted. My first view of it was very brief & I have wondered since if I exaggerated the initial impression of the rainbow in my mind afterwards. But having said that it was a fabulous thing to see.
The Sun is arguably the only astronomical object I observe/image fairly regularly these days and but it takes up quite a bit of my time.
Best wishes from Cliff

jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

stella wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:41 pm
I therefore have given the name "Dogbow" to this phenomenon.
To quote Barry Norman, “and why not?”. It’s my mission to make a successful observation of a Dogbow now.

Best wishes, Jeff.

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Bob
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Although I now think my misspelt title might be better than my intended one.
Yes, the boring Sun has produced a bit of excitement recently. I missed a few days of the Sunspots initial appearance on the Sun's disc because of thick cloud, being quite surprised to see it. I posted Sun images on the 26th July I think
Best wishes from Cliff

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Stella
Thanks for your interest, & very interesting comments.
It's only after examining my rainbow image again that (though not glaring out dead easy) both my wife & I think we can detect a very faint second bow above the obvious one.
Incidentally one of the best rainbows I ever saw was several years back on a week's caravan holiday in Oban. It rained every day (except one!) though not all day. We saw numerous rainbows. The best was when travelling across Rannoch Moor. Stopped & took several photos from a super viewpoint. The only problem was (I had no tripod) & the rainbow appeared so big it wouldn't fit on the camera widest angle image.
So in a way I felt a bit lucky the other day when my location did not allow me to see the rainbow's two furthest apart low ends - hidden below roof tops (using the same camera wide angle as on Rannoch Moor).