Popular Astronomy - Astro Python

Astro software and whatever hardware

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, gbp

JohnM

Popular Astronomy - Astro Python

Post by JohnM »

It is interesting to see the article on one of the key areas of modern astronomy - the use of computer software to analyse results in the latest Popular Astronomy.

The article gives a brief introduction to the use of Astro Python and running it on Google Colabs. Are other members using AstroPython either on their own computers or via the Google colab platform ? If so what are you using it for ?
Data Miner & Amateur Astronomer
Kay Burton

Re: Popular Astronomy - Astro Python

Post by Kay Burton »

Modern programming allows you to solve a huge number of problems. I myself am now actively studying Python, because it can be applied in different areas of life. I even had to buy a comfortable keyboard to write the code. I chose a mechanical keyboard Durgod, found its parameters in the article.
JohnM

Re: Popular Astronomy - Astro Python

Post by JohnM »

Great to hear that Kay - I hope you get on Ok. Having started on IBM(Dartmouth) Basic I still find modern languages quite hard though they are very powerful.

One of the things I use Python for is to control my NLC time lapse camera. It both operates the camera and shows the Sun Azimuth and (negative) declination. It also downloads the images from the camera to the Raspberry Pi at the end of the session for temporary storage. The download takes quite a time as it is an old Canon 10D camera.

Details on my website at http://www.johnmurrell.org.uk/Intervalometer-V1.htm if you are interested. I also use the Linux chron facility to download the weather satellite images as I am interested to find out if clouds a long way north are the reason for NLC not being seen.
Data Miner & Amateur Astronomer