The Sun Today

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

RMSteele

Re: The Sun Today

Post by RMSteele »

2021 June 04, 1452 UT, seeing good, transparency poor, 2 groups of 5 and 3 spots counted by projection with 60mm refractor in a slightly hazy sky, Bob
mikemarotta

Post by mikemarotta »

SkyBrowser wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:02 am
mikemarotta wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:44 am I observed the Sun on 2 June 2021 at approximately 1700 hours Central US time (UT -5) and saw 1 sunspot in the southern hemisphere, western side.
Southern hemisphere???
I have every reason to believe so. In a refractor, the image is correct vertically, but reversed L-R (West-East).
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 2.jpg (61.13 KiB) Viewed 62 times
SkyBrowser wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:23 pm I saw two groups, the western one in the northern hemisphere looking a bit streaky, the eastern one in the southern hemisphere looking like a lone spot with my current equipment (roll on July!).
What is your current equipment?
=====================================
Michael E. Marotta
Editor - History of Astronomy Division
American Astronomical Society
mike49mercury@gmail.com
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor
Explore Scientific 102 mm Refractor
National Geographic 70 mm Refractor
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

mikemarotta wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:46 am I have every reason to believe so. In a refractor, the image is correct vertically, but reversed L-R (West-East).
For an "astronomical" telescope and if you're using a non-erecting diagonal, yes. Do you use a diagonal when observing the Sun? Are you projecting or observing using filters?

I observe, via projection, with a 1960's vintage 60mm Prinz refractor. I got confused at first as to which was north and which was south when projecting the Sun, but I waited until there was only one spot (not hard, as I started last year when solar activity was low!) and then checked online to see which hemisphere the spot was in. Even now I get muddled up sometimes as the image orientation changes throughout the day :)

For info, here's the Sun on June 2nd this year. I'm assuming the group you saw was 12827.

Work.jpg
Work.jpg (69.07 KiB) Viewed 61 times
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

One group today, with, I think, three spots, though doubtless more when one can focus in on the detail.
mikemarotta

Post by mikemarotta »

SkyBrowser wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:29 am For info, here's the Sun on June 2nd this year. I'm assuming the group you saw was 12827.
Thanks. Your reports are easy to follow.
I have a filter on the objective of my 70mm refractor.
Sun Catcher Filters.jpg
Sun Catcher Filters.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 56 times
The filter itself is from Thousand Oaks. The Sun Catcher is made by someone else for Explore Scientific. They come in four sizes, Small, Medium-1 and Medium 2, and Large. I only made the first one so far for my smallest telescope. I am not very handy at fabricating. They have a video which is easy to follow, but it is like getting a haircut: if it's too short, you can't put it back. I actually used the objective cover for my 102-mm for the template, but it fit the 70 better (ahem).

One advantage to projections is that you can record your observations more accurately and precisely. My sketches of the Jupiter-Saturn Conjunction were the result of a lot of practice and even so the measurements to scale have a large margin of error.
Michael E. Marotta
mike49mercury@gmail.com
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2021 June 08, 0915 UT, seeing and transparency good, two groups of 10 and 2 spots, with the smaller group at the preceding limb in faculae. 60mm refractor F15, 15mm plossl eyepiece and star diagonal, by projection in white light. Regards Bob
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2021 June 11, 1210 UT. Seeing and transparency very poor. Equipment as above posts. One blurry spot seen on preceding hemisphere. One patch of faculae glimpsed near p. Limb. Bob
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2021 June 13 at 1035 UT, seeing and transparency below par. One large round spot foreshortened near the following limb in faculae, observed with equipment as above posts. Bob
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

13 June 1518UT, good seeing. One long streak of a spot close to the following limb. Will it split in two I wonder?
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2021 June 14 0950 UT, hazy sky but the Image is surprisingly good - there is one nicely symmetrical spot (as yesterday) not far from the following limb surrounded by mottled faculae. Equipment as in above posts. Bob
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

2021 June 15th 0845UT. One large spot in the northern hemisphere.
mikemarotta

Post by mikemarotta »

Sun 16 June 2021.jpeg
Sun 16 June 2021.jpeg (200.26 KiB) Viewed 18 times
Michael E. Marotta
mike49mercury@gmail.com
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Nothing new for a few days - one big spot - but I am noticing more often, maybe once a month, small objects flitting across the solar disc. I take it that they are satellites. Maybe we should keep a record? Maybe Stella or John could supply some data on the likely frequency of artificial satellite transits. Regards, Bob
Ps haven’t seen a starlink procession yet!
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2021 June 22 at 0747 UT. Seeing and transparency good. The same large, round spot as on previous days (well shown in Mike’s sketches above) now well on the preceding half of the solar disc and accompanied by 2 small, faint outlying spots. Equipment as in previous posts. Bob
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Hoping to see and image the Sun later. If this cloud ever clears.
It's been a lovely sunny day here in my corner of Cheshire.

But now I am ready to do some Solar work. We have the cloud once again :| .
Paul Anthony Brierley
Observation Co-ordinator for.
Macclesfield Astronomical Society
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/
http://pabastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2018/