Continuation of Obs. of Vesta

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Guy Fennimore, Brian

michael feist

Continuation of Obs. of Vesta

Post by michael feist »

Wednesday, 3th February, 2021; Awoke at 2314 GMT and noticed that the sky was CLEAR!. The 'tail-of-Leo' was soon to disappear from the bedroom window, so after trying for a quick look at VESTA from there, let the cat out and observed from tbe back-garden, which also suffered less from light-pollution from nearby houses. Picked out the 'triangle / arrowhead' asterism, as before, and then VESTA, using 8x42 Hawke monocular, hand-held and rested. Easy to see in this; much more difficult in 6x21. Much movement since previous sighting. Last view was at 2344 GMT, when I left the cat to her wanderings, made a cup of tea and returned to bed. regards maf...still watching asteroids.
SkyBrowser

Re: Continuation of Obs. of Vesta

Post by SkyBrowser »

I too noticed it was clear at about 11 pm. Too late to set the 'scope up, so I grabbed the 8x50s and headed out. I surfed around for a while. Transparency didn't seem good - I was struggling, initially, to see mag 7.5 stars, which I would exect to be easily in reach of 8x50s under dark skies. What sort of magnitude do other people see down to with similar equipment?

Anyway, about 0045 UT, I went asteroid hunting. Vesta was easy, the arrowhead points more or less right at it. Then I went looking for 29 Amphitrite. Predicted magnitude was 9.5 so I wasn't hopeful - and I was right :( I couldn't see it. I think I was seeing down to mag 8.6 or so, so a little better than before, but not great. I couldn't see M95/M96/M105, despite the fact that they were in the same field as Amphitrite.

The tracks of Vesta and Amphitrite more or less parallel each other across the sky - see below.

Vesta Amphitrite X1.0 .png
Vesta Amphitrite X1.0 .png (119.62 KiB) Viewed 258 times
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

SkyBrowser wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:42 pm What sort of magnitude do other people see down to with similar equipment?
With my 8x56, on a decent night, I can detect stars down to about magnitude +7.1 brightness. However, I’m on the edge of a light polluted city.

Best wishes, Jeff.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Okay. I must try again some time and see if it was just a bad night (for me or the sky!), or whether binoculars don't go as deep as I expect now my eyes are getting older.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

February 10th, 2021' Awoke 2320 GMT, observed from the backdoor / garden with handheld 8X42 Hawke monocular. Very cold and very clear sky. Good view of VESTA, position plotted with reference to the 'triangle' and other field stars. Stars 88, 85 and 81 [Leonis] identified for future reference. regards maf...still watching Vesta.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

0020-0035 GMT. 12th February, MMXXI; Awoke to find the sky reasonably clear but with some strips and patches of thin cloud. Very cold and windy. Viewed from the back-door/garden using 8x42 monocular. The 'triangle', Vesta, 88, 85, 81 and also 90 Leonis. A good view was had, so made tea and went back to bed. regards maf.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

13th February MMXXI; 0106-0112 GMT. Awoken by the cat,. yet again at at the right time. Found the clouds broken and racing passed in the bitter wind. In the holes in this cloud used 8x42 Hawke monocular again to see variously, Denebola [beta], the 'triangle', Vesta, the 'Y' of star consisting of 88, 85, 81 and 90 Leonis...although not always all at once! Also identified an interesting and useful guide, just over the border in Virgo, which consists of xi, 4, and nu Virginis in a narrow inverted triangle. Clouds increased, I went in to make tea and go back to bed...the cat stayed out, watching for those mice! regards maf. [note I re-used the duplicate-entry from yesterday, for this posting.]
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

17th February MMXXI, 2315-2338 GMT; Sky finally cleared for a while, cold and windy. Viewed from the backdoor/garden using 8x42 monocular and then 6x21 monocular. Saw Denebola, 'the triangle', and the 'Y' [consisting of , 90, 88, 85 and 81 Leonis. The last observations four days ago [due to clouds!]and VESTA had moved a considerable distance since then, now being widely paired with 88 Leonis Regards maf.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Its apparent motion across the sky is now speeding up. And it's getting brighter, a maximum of about 5.8 (nayked-eye!) around March 5th. Those with dark skies and good eyes should try for it visually. I have the former, but not the latter :(
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

The night of the 18th/19th of February MMXXI was remarkable because the sky was generally 'observable' throughout.
At 2115-2120 GMT; Before bed, I used the 8x42 Hawk monocular on a pistol-grip on a tripod through the east-facing bedroom window. Despite rather too much light-pollution from houses & Moon, I was able locate the 'Y'-asterism of 81, 85, 88 and 90 Leonis - with VESTA still widely paired with 88 Leonis.
At 0030 GMT; awoke to find a good, clear sky, people had gone to bed, so less lights on, and crescent Moon had set. So to the back-garden with same set-up, for another look at VESTA and field-stars, with Leo, high in south.
At 0450-0510 GMT; The sky was now rather poor with patches of thin cloud here and there. However was able to use the same set-up through the downstairs west-facing window, to see again the 'Y'-asterism [as above] and VESTA.
So was able to see VESTA before bed, round mid-night and finally before breakfast, Leo rising, culminating and setting. The changing orientations of the fov very obvious.
regards maf, still following Vesta.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Lovely set of observations, Mike. It’s interesting to keep track of a moving object over time.

Best wishes, Jeff.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

22nd February MMXXI; 0258-0312 GMT; Clouds had more or less cleared but leaving a poor-transparency sky. No moonlight. As I could see Denebola with the unaided eye, I took the 8x42 monocular + grip + tripod into the back-garden and successfully picked-out the 'Y' stars [90, 81,. 85, and 88 Leonis] and Vesta. Vesta now not quite yet in line with 90 and 85. Also Vesta making almost an isosceles triangle with 88 and 85. regards maf.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

23rd February MMXXI. 0004-0020 GMT; Initially the sky was clear, slightly misty and illuminated by the Moon [which was hidden behind the house]. Used 8x42 Hawke monocular on tripod [and also visible in 6x21 monocular handheld] from the back-garden. Had a good view of 81, 85, 88, 90 Leonis and Vesta. 90-85 and Vesta more or less now in-line. Soon strips, patches and sheets of cloudlets interfered. regards maf.
SkyBrowser

Post by SkyBrowser »

Have you been making a chart of V's progress? And estimates of its magnitude?
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Hello SkyBrowser - In answer to our questions; Not with any great detail or accuracy. I copied small part of a detailed map from a star atlas, stuck it in my Diary and have marked a few location points, as roughly seen. Have never been very good at estimating magnitudes. Regards mike, watcher of asteroids
Last edited by michael feist on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.