C/2020 F3 NEOWISE 19th July

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Paul Freeman

Re: C/2020 F3 NEOWISE 19th July

Post by Paul Freeman »

After six evenings of cloud in the NW I eventually managed to spot Comet Neowise again around 11:05pm last night, although with a certain amount of difficulty. I used the Alt/Az co-ordinates courtesy of Heavens Above and eventually found it to the right and slightly above Coma Berenices. I was using my 10x50 binos and if I didn't know what I was looking for I probably would have missed it. The tail seems to have disappeared and it is defiantly fainter. I suspect this may well be the last I've seen of it unless I'm around in 7000 years time! All in all a nice comet, probably the best since Hale-Bopp although nowhere near as spectacular.
Regards, Paul.

michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Much as I saw it Jeff, with my 8x42 monocular. The various field-stars , I recognise from my two last sightings. I hope to see it on the edge of the large Coma Berenices open star cluster in the next couple of evenings, but the window of opportunity is becoming reduced as it is trapped between the sky being dark enough and the comet being high enough, plus the Moon is getting brighter and setting later, and the comet is obviously getting fainter. Still I will press on at least to the end of July, and see how it goes after that. A superb comet - really perked me up! regards mike.

michael feist

Post by michael feist »

29th July 2020. The clouds had broken-up, leaving a few patches of small cloudlets, so went to the Park at 2300 BST with 8x42 Hawke monocular. 'The Plough' was visible and below that Cor Caroli [alpha in Canes Ventatici] . Scanning below that with the monocular immediately brought the fuzzy head of Comet and the short, broad smudge of tail into view. The Comet and the top three stars of the inverted 'Y' of Mel 111 [gamma-15, 14 and 16] fitted across the fov of the monocular [ fov given as 7.3 degs.] . Comet is now over the border and just in Coma Berenices. Viewed the comet from 2300-2300 BST, then went home to write this up, venturing out again between 2345-2355 BST for for final look but had to wait for a small piece of cloud to move out of the way! [obs.# 12] .regards mike

jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Good to see observations being made. I tried last night, but the cloud cover was too intermittent, and I was a bit too tired to sit and wait to see if it would clear later.

Paul, that’s a frustrating run of cloudy nights, but I’m glad you were able to make another observation.

Mike, I’d started using my 10x50 monocular again, recently. Back in March/April, with that lovely run of warm weather and clear skies, I had left my heavy duty photography tripod set up in the garden, and I’d pop the monocular on that. The difference, having the stability of the tripod, was incredible. I did also use it hand held, and it was really useful still - lightweight and easy to carry around.

It’s going to be interesting to see how long we can follow NEOWISE for, and how long it will take to fade from binocular view.

Best wishes, Jeff.

michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Jeff, I find the waiting-up a problem too, as I tend to go to bed at about 9 pm but do wake-up every couple of hours or so. To ensure that I do not 'over sleep' and miss something, I have two methods.
1] drink a cup of tea in bed and / or [2] ask my wife, who normally stays up an extra hour-and-half watching the television, to wake me if the sky is clear and I am 'dead to the world' when she comes to bed. regards mike

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Nigel
Thanks for your initial interesting post (20th July) about the comet - I just realised didn't previously make any reference to it.
Best wishes from (slow off the mark) Cliff.

michael feist

Post by michael feist »

30th July 2020. Thursday evening was warm and calm but with rather poor transparency around the horizon. The sky was mainly cloudless but with a few narrow strips low down. I set out at 2230 BST when the sky was not yet completely dark and in bright Moonlight. The Comet was easily seen in the 8x42 monocular + the Mel. 111 field-stars, from the Park. I then set put for the Foredown Ridge where I expected PJF would be, trying to photograph the Comet again. As I climbed UP the path, I came across a real spectacle - the reflection of the low Gibbous Moon on the distant sea - it was a beautiful sight! Between about 2250 and 2325 BST, having joined PJF, we observed Jupiter and Saturn, and then concentrated on Comet Neowise, which appeared, in my 8 x 42 monocular, really as only an obvious fuzzy ball, perhaps with a smudge for a tail, now closer to the outskirts of Mel. 111. Eventually I set off down the hill to the Park from where I started observing the Comet this evening, having my final look at at 2340 BST, I went home to bed. [obs. #13] regards mike

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Jeff
I like your sketch of "neowise". I think there is a lot to be said for astronomical observation sketching.
I used to sketch quite a lot & still do some very occasional limited sketching. I've only observed this comet twice and I one time made a very very crude sketch of it - best kept secret.
Best wishes from Cliff

michael feist

Post by michael feist »

1st August 2020; 2325-2325 BST; The clouds finally more or less cleared and the Comet was located, using the 8x42 monocular from the Park, as a fuzzy smudge between the pair of stars 22 &18 and 30 & 31 [the latter pair being very near the North Galactic Pole.] The brilliant Moon in the south however washed-out the sky, but as it was near Saturn and Jupiter, these three made a real spectacle in themselves and were photographed!] [obs.# 14]. regards mike.

michael feist

Post by michael feist »

[Obs.# 15] Comet Neowise; 4th Aug 2020; 2310-2320 BST; Moon low down and not too intrusive but sky soon somewhat cloudy. To Park with 8x42 and then with L/S60 spotter Located Mel.111 and then the Comet as a faint smudge. A limited view which I expected to be my last BUT....
[Obs.#16] Comet Neowise; 6th Aug 2020; 2235-2240 BST; Very clear sky with Moon hidden. From Park, used 8x42 mono, and then Acuter 65a [x15] to confirm, the Comet as an obvious fuzzy-smudge adjacent to a very much smaller and fainter -hardly visible- M53 globular cluster.
regards mike